Shepherd & Dog, Crays Hill

By Jim Devlin

It is not know when this photograph of the Shepherd & Dog was taken. Perhaps you can help.

The building was owned at this time by Wells & Perry Ltd. who styled themselves as The Chelmsford Brewery. Their address was 26 Duke Street Chelmsford and the brewery was founded in 1793.

Photo:Shepherd & Dog, Crays Hill

Shepherd & Dog, Crays Hill

The brewery was taken over by Taylor Walker in 1934 who were subsequently acquired by Ind Coope Ltd of Romford in 1959.

Locally Wells & Perry Ltd. owned a number of other pubs, The Chequers in Billericay High Street, The De Beauvoir Arms at Downham, The Nags Head at Ramsden Heath and The Bear in Stock.

Photo:A view of the pub looking westwards

A view of the pub looking westwards

This page was added by Jim Devlin on 02/09/2011.
Comments about this page (Add a comment about this page)

The Chequers in the High St who was the landlady in the 1960's ?

By Paul Rodway
On 05/12/2011

Mrs Savagear as the landlady at the Chequers - not sure which year.

By Hazel Morley nee Martin
On 02/03/2012