Outline History of The Billericay Society

Timeline

By David Bremner

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Outline History of The Billericay Society' page

  • 27 July 1935
  • Formation of The Billericay Area Group of the Essex Branch of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England because local people were alarmed by the rapid expansion of the area ……. uncontrolled housing developments…..advertisement hoardings etc
  • Silver Jubilee of King George V
  • Flowering cherries planted at Sun Corner

1937      

  • Coronation of King George VI
  • Trees planted in Lake Meadows

1944      

  • Published A Plan for Billericay

1948      

  • Involvement in designing and siting of 1939 – 1945 War Memorial

1950      

  • Opposition to Hanningfield reservoir

1951      

  • Trees planted on green in London Road to commemorate the Festival of Britain

1953      

  • Publication of Billericay and its High Street by Harry Richman

1953      

  • Billericay Mayflower sign erected in London Road to celebrate the Queen’s Coronation donated by Mrs Cater

1957      

  • This green now designated Perry Green

1959      

  • Basildon Council formed High Street Panel. Two representatives of Bill Soc served on this until its demise in 1974

7 May 1960        

  • Cater Museum opened

1960      

  • Tree survey carried out
  • Negotiations for Basildon Council to purchase Norsey Woods

1961      

  • Local footpaths start to be signed. Footpath signs were removed during the War.
  • First edition of Billericay Bulletin …. Issued quarterly …. now The Newsletter

1962      

  • First Tree Preservation orders on individual trees
  • Ornamental trees planted on Norsey Meadow

1963      

  • Large housing projects under way

1966      

  • Billericay Footpath Map produced by Norman Turner and Alec McGregor
  • Successful opposition to Billericay Inner Relief Road Scheme

1967      

  • Opposition to Stansted Airport

1970      

  • Open Spaces in Billericay published

1972      

1973      

  • Opposition to Maplin Airport
  • Local Traffic Survey

1974      

1976      

  • Norsey Woods becomes a Public Open Space
  • Another Traffic Survey

1977      

  • The Billericay Walk, to celebrate Queen’s Jubilee (raising money which paid for a seat near The Chequers) …. Becomes an annual event

1978      

  • Successfully opposed planning application for development of Quilters Meadow Town Field (Sun Corner) so that it remains a public open space

1979      

  • First of eight annual Antiques Fairs, organised by Vic Meecham

1980      

  • Trees planted in tubs in the High Street

1981      

  • Start of collection of photos of all listed buildings in Billericay
  • Massive litter collection from around Billericay railway station.

1982      

  • Discovering Billericay High Street Walk started by Alec McGregor and Ted Wright …. Another annual event

1983      

  • Daffodils planted on railway platform embankments
  • Picnic table and chairs donated to Laindon Common

1984      

  • Little Burstead forms breakaway group
  • 16th Century barn from Chapel Street re-erected at Watt Tyler Country Park (later burned down)
  • Discussions with NFU concerning issues such as stubble burning

1985      

  • Negotiated recutting of lettering on the 1914 – 1918 War Memorial
  • Start of marketable mementoes of The Society
  • Publication of Billericay in Old Picture Postcards, Vic Meecham and Harvey Proctor MP

1986      

  • Opposition to Bradwell Nuclear Waste Dump
  • Another town sign, on Laindon Common, Noak Hill Road to commemorate 50 years of The Society. Carved by Peter Benson
  • Monthly Social Meetings started under Len Budd. Visits to places of interest have always been an aspect of The Societies activities

1989      

  • Another Traffic Survey

1992      

  • Town Sign on Perry Street in bad way … replaced by metal one …. Designed by Roy Mizen

1993      

  • History prepared of The Old Town Hall … did not get listed status …. Preservation Trust set up
  • Concerns also about Church House
  • Report submitted to Basildon Council concerning state of pavements in the High Street  … some paving renewed
  • Billericay District Buildings Preservation Trust established and financed by The Society …. feasibility study carried out on The old Town Hall
  • Billericay Town Council Steering Committee established

1994      

  • Objections to development of The Old Fold site
  • Monitored traffic survey prepared by Council for Billericay
  • Council agreed to name all ancient woodlands in The District Plan
  • Council agreed to keep boundaries of Conservation Area
  • Architectural Heritage Fund provided £2500 for feasibility study on Cray’s Hill Church 
  • Monitored possible development of St Andrew’s site for Tesco Supermarket
  • Objected to move of Burns Unit from Billericay to Broomfield
  • Billericay District Buildings Preservation Trust secured grant from Architectural Heritage Trust for feasibility study on Church House

1995      

  • Special Advisory Committee established for High Street Conservation Area
  • Another Town Sign erected at Potash Road to mark Society’s 60th year …. paid for by Basildon Council?
  • Local Government Commission recommended that Billericay should split from Basildon and join up with Brentwood

1996      

  • Basildon and Thurrock General Hospitals “Vision 2000” … we asked for St Andrew’s to be modernised grant
  • Grant withdrawn from Recreation Reading Rooms Trust
  • Concern about future of Old Post Office Building … meeting with Royal Mail Property Holdings
  • High Street Panel began meetings
  • Analysis of Basildon District Local Plan Enquiry presented by Roy Mizen at Society’s AGM
  • Negative value for Church House
  • Meeting with Health Authority … same as 1995
  • Society reviewed Basildon and Thurrock General Hospitals Vision 2000 …. Analysis prepared by Roy Mizen … still asking for St Andrew’s to be modernised
  • Objection to BCC plan to sell off parcels of land in Mountnessing Road and Queen’s Park areas
  • Comments sent on development of Mountnessing Open Space
  • TOWN COUNCIL
  • Modifications suggested to railings around War Memorial
  • Comments sent on plans for Waitrose Supermarket
  • Society not involved with various twinning schemes

1999      

  • Replacement sign for Noak Hill Road … Peter Benson
  • Ideas requested for use of Porter’s Lodge (Listed Grade II) on the St Andrew’s site

This page was added by Claire Morley on 14/08/2013.
Add a comment about this page

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.