Town Signs

The Billericay Society gift to the Town

By David Bremner

Photo:The original sign on Perry Green after one of its renovations

The original sign on Perry Green after one of its renovations

Billericay Society

 

 

Our first wooden town sign was erected on Perry Green by the A129 junction with Mountnessing Road to commemorate Queen’s Elizabeth’s Coronation in 1953. Mrs. Cater, founder of the Cater Museum, unveiled the first town sign.

With two restorations, it stood for 40 years.

 

 

  

 

 

 

Photo:The Carved sign on Noak Hill Road

The Carved sign on Noak Hill Road

Billericay Society

 

 

 

A second sign on the A176 Noak Hill Road  carved by Peter Benson and unveiled in 1986

 

 

 

Photo:The current sign on Perry Green

The current sign on Perry Green

Jim Devlin

 

 

 

 

The original town sign on Perry Green eventually succumbed to age and a new sign, our third, made from weather resistant metal replaced it in March 1997. This sign was designed by the Billericay Society past chairman Roy Mizen.

 

 

 

 

 

Photo:The unveiling of the Stock Road Sign

The unveiling of the Stock Road Sign

 

Erected in 1995, our fourth town sign is in Stock Road [B1007] by the Potash roundabout. This was to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Billericay Society. The main board is made of Iroco, a hard wood from Africa.  Splitting of the leg supports damaged this sign in August 1997.   It was restored by Peter Benson and was re-erected in October 2000.

 

 

This page was added by Jim Devlin on 09/12/2013.
Add a comment about this page

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.