Billericay 1928

From the West

By Jim Devlin

Billericay in 1928 was little bigger than a village. the railway station can be clearly seen at the bottom left. It was the arrival of trains that triggered the massive expansion which saw the fields near the High Street disappear.

Buildings that can be seen include the old Co-op on the corner of Western Road and the High Street, the high building, and further along on the same side is Hurlocks, the other high building. The Chequers pub is clearly identifiable in the top right and corner. Notice how to the east of the High Street, behind the Chequers and all the way to Crown Road, there are no buildings.

Photo:Click on the photo to see an enlarged version in a pop-up

Click on the photo to see an enlarged version in a pop-up

This page was added by Jim Devlin on 15/02/2017.